Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pulling Teeth

Daddy was a man of many talents. He was a natural with training horses, he could show and sell a horse to a deaf and blind man--very convincing- but hey, that was his trade and he had to be good at it. When he hauled hay many ranches depended on him to supply their hay because he always bought the clean and tight bales of hay. He had more friends than you could shake a stick at and I only wish I had their stories and experiences they shared with Daddy.
The man did what had to be done, as many people did back then ( sure makes me feel old everytime I say back then). When there was a need, you just took care of it the best way that you could. Raising six children Dad really had his share of assorted task-- one being pulling our teeth---yep, thats what I said pulling our teeth. Don't think for one minute that we didn't do our best to keep them but you know how baby teeth are, you either pull them or they "wiggle their way out." Dad would tie a string around the tooth and get a good grip-jerk it upward and -viola-the tooth was out and you were left bleeding a little, thinking that you were sure to die.
WEll, Cinda was very little and had a front baby tooth almost ready to "drop out" but she would not let Daddy pull it---being as she was the baby and so adorable we pretty much let her have her way. The tooth stayed--UNTIL one day while she and I were home alone I talked her into letting me pull the silly wiggley waggle tooth. She consented --I got the string and was talking to her all the while to keep her distracted--got it tied and jerked, out came the tooth. I felt 6 ft. tall until she asked me where that tooth came from, I told her that it was hers --tears began to flow with some yawling mixed in with it--she points to the front of her mouth and sure as all get out I had tied the string to the wrong tooth!
Daddy had a few things to say to me when he got home . I never had a secret desire to become a dentist anyway so I wasn't very upset about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment