Friday, April 16, 2010

More Cooking

As I was recalling Moms cooking I forgot to mention how popular her cooking was when we had the cafe in Rochester, goodness people came from the surrounding towns and the various work crews that were in the area always wanted to have their feet under one of Moms tables come lunch time! I mentioned how she had to fry Dads steak or chops, but in the cafe she cooked them just right- tender on the inside and a nice crust on the outside. I still maintain to this day that she fried the best chicken that I have ever eaten.
One day recently I made the remark to a friend that I had "whipped up" a pie that day. She said that she had never heard of the expression "Whipping up" a pie. I told her that it came from Mother as she would often say she was going to whip up a pie or "
stir up" a cake. She could make cooking look so easy, but with 6 kids to raise she had a WHOLE LOT of practice.
Whenever there was sickness in our community or a death, Mom would be one of the first to carry them food. She frequently carried a tray of food to the elderly while it was still hot- then would return home to feed her family.
She would can or freeze the vegetables of the season and could make the most delicious apricot preserves. I know that in a prior post I mentioned her fried pies--man -oh-man talk about making your mouth water they were out of this world.
She would quilt with the ladies of the community, so would often have them in our home as they alternated hosting the event. Everyone would bring a dish and at the end of the day they would write down various foods on little pieces of paper and would draw to see what they would have to bring to the next meeting. They wouldn't let Mom draw- she was told to bring her angel food pie or pecan pies.
Well, I have rambled on long enough about all of this great food, it has made me want to "whip up" one of her cakes-----maybe the urge will pass since its midnight>

No comments:

Post a Comment