Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom

Today being Mothers day my thoughts have been on Mom (& also my sweet mother-in-law')

They were such wonderful women and a blessing in my life.
Being the mother of 6 children, Mom certainly knew every detail of being a mother and always seem to have a solution for any problem that we had, big or small she had answers. Mom was alot like Grandpa Corley- her ability to laugh at so many things when some would want to cry--and she had
the gift of telling great stories as he did. She took after Ma Blanche with her cooking --she was a great cook as most of you can recall. She would carry food to every elderly person that she knew and most likely some that she didn't know. The woman could sew ANYTHING--and didn't use a pattern most of the time. When Jerry was rodeoing -Mom made all of her
riding clothes--no pattern, just design it as she went.When Bev was in high school she wanted a skirt- I believe they were called squaw skirts-anyway they were very popular but too expensive for us to buy. Mom made her one that was beautiful! She made all of our clothes and I don't recall that it bothered any of us not to have store bought clothes--hers was much prettier. She continued loving to sew until her health and eye sight prevented it. One of my funny memories of her sewing is about a little cloth black doll. She called me one day and asked what I was doing--I tell her that I was sewing a little black doll with pig tails. She asked about how tall, how did I do the face, dress her etc.etc. So the next day when I called her she gets to laughing and tells me that after we had talked the day before she goes in & finds some black fabric and cuts out a doll--no pattern, of course--just free hands all of it. I asked how it turned out and she really laughed and said "its the ugliest thing you ever looked at". I told her to keep it that I wanted to see it. My next visit I walk in & she has it sitting on her table & I burst out laughing because sure enough it was the ugliest thing that I had ever seen. She was going to trash it but I told her I wanted it--The little ugly thing is on a shelf in my dining room and makes me smile every time I see it. Mom was a great quilter when she had the time. For years she would meet with the ladies in our community when they met & quilted at each others home. She never could put her name in the drawing that they held each time to determine what sort of covered dish they were to bring to the quilting--they just told her she had to always bring her angel food pie & coconut pie.
Like grandpa, she loved to play jokes on her children and grand-children. How many of you remember playing outside at night and she would slip out the back door and come around the corner of the house with a sheet covering her--making a scary sound? There are so many fun things that she did that I will tell later on....she was a character!!
She loved to make up poems and was good at it--the ones she mailed to us I have saved and I know that Tom has all of the ones she sent him-
There is much to said about Mom one doesn't really know where to start or where to end. We will be remembering her many times in our stories of the old days - she will continue to make us smile with the memories she left everyone of us--We were blessed to have had the love that she so freely bestowed upon all of us--

No comments:

Post a Comment