Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Old Paper Fans

The other day Freddie and I ate lunch at a local restaurant that is decorated in antiques and various old fashion things. Many of the things are reproduction but they still hold a lot of memories for the people our age or older.
One thing they had was a basket of cardboard fans that you could take for free. Oh, what memories that "triggered!" You know the type of fan I am talking about--the cardboard is stapled to a piece of wood (reminds me of a tongue depresser) and most would be advertising some business. The ones that I recall growing up usually advertised some church or a funeral home.
Our little church would have the fans placed on all of the pews and everyone used them to try a create a breeze while the preacher gave his sermon--poor guy would be sweating up a storm, since he couldn't use a fan.
I guess that the little things of long ago makes as big of a impression on us as the big things..The fans are cute and I have bought several through the years at antique stores to display in our home but I sure have no desire to use one again---this air conditioning suits me just fine!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment