Saturday, July 31, 2010

Canning Corn

After talking about the plum jelly, I got to thinking about the time that Mom showed me how to can corn. Now, I will confess right up front that canning corn really was not at the top of my list of things to do---I like Del Monte corn just fine. Freddie and I had been married for 5 or 6 months and Mom came out to stay the day with me,which was great--she opens the trunk of her car and it looked like someone had dumped a trailer full of corn on the cob in the trunk--she was so happy to be the bearer of this mother load of corn!! I asked her what on earth would we do with that much corn--she looked at me like I was a mite narrow between the eyes and says "Well, can it of course!" Silly me --17 years old I should have known..
Well. we get a big wash tub --put it under neath a mesquite tree by the house--add a couple of chairs for us and some big bowls to place the corn in, We shucked the corn first (peeling off the husk)--Now came the fun part--(I lie a little) she showed me how to hold the big butcher knife--resembling a small machete in my opinion and we cut the corn very close to the cob. Started at the top of the cob and brought the knife down to the bottom. She then told me to flip the sharp side of the knife upward and run the backside of the knife over the cob to extract the sweet juice from the corn, This may sound very simple but let me tell you for certain that it turned out to be a back breaker, when you handling enough corn to supply H.E.B.
FINALLY. the last ear was finished and we go to the kitchen to finish up this "simple" canning of the corn. We boil it for a short period then pour it into canning jars and seal them.
When Mom cooked her canned corn she would add butter-salt-pepper and cook it in a skillet, sort of frying it...Good doesn't describe it but what can I say except that she could make ANYTHING taste great... Just give the woman some flour, shortening, milk and eggs and she could create heaven.
We enjoyed visiting while we worked and she taught me how to do yet another homemaking skill---she thought my husband should have a wife that could put vegetables away in this manner...Yep, that is a biggie for you soon to brides!!
I don't recall how long it took us eat all of that corn--which was very good and made me feel like quiet the little wife! Guess that I am glad to know how Mom processed her corn but to be perfectly honest, I have never done it again..I just shuck the corn -blanch it--bag it and throw those little suckers in the freezer..

No comments:

Post a Comment