Saturday, June 12, 2010

House shoes

I had to buy me a new pair of house slippers the other day and for some strange reason it got me to remembering my first pair of house shoes--they were made from pretty pink wash clothes...yep, you heard right wash clothes,except we called them wash rags.
Two elderly ladies lived next door to my Aunt Dodie and I LOVED to go visit them whenever we would go to Aunt Dodies house. It didn't matter that I was 5 or 6 years old and they were in their sixty and seventies--heck, I could talk to ALL ages. One of my visits I admired the cute house shoes that Mrs. Carr had on and she informed me that she had sewed them from wash rags.. It didn't take much to amaze me back in those days and I WAS amazed--I had to have a pair. She tells me she would get the 2 wash rags and my next visit we would make a pair
Time does creep by when you are so anxious for something, I thought that we would NEVER go to visit Aunt Dodie--I was "bitin at the bit" to get my pretty house shoes. Well, FINALLY we go to visit and I was out of the car and rushing over to the Carrs house faster than you could say "squat." True to her word she had bought me the 2 wash rags in pink. I recall telling her from the start that I liked red but I was confident that being old she couldn't tell pink from red. She pulled a stool up for me to watch her and to help her make them--she made one of them and had me to do the other--talk about excited- now this little gal was on cloud nine.
That next week I got into Mothers wash rags and my mission was to see that everyone in my family had some wash rag house shoes--I did a decent job of making them too!! Guess it was a good thing that my stitches were rather long because I used most of the wash rags and if anyone needed a wash rag they had pull the stitches out of their house shoes and use my wonderful creation to bath with.
Just a note on the expression of wash rags instead of wash cloth--in the old days they did not have wash clothes as we know them but would use a rag hence the expression wash rag. The same goes for dish rag, which I heard all of my life
Now doesn't it make your day to know this "stuff?' Heck, if you hang around me I 'll teach you all sorts of things about the "finer" side of life----

No comments:

Post a Comment