Sunday, June 20, 2010

Daddy

Today being Fathers Day, I have thought of Daddy many times and as always give thanks that I was blessed with such a loving man for a Dad. As I shared with you in a past post, daddy never knew his Mom as he was a baby when she died and his Dad died when he was 12 or 13yrs old so he really missed out on being brought up with a family environment. Grandpa Sherley was a wonderful Christian Dad to him and I am certain that the short time that Daddy had with him instilled in him many of the attributes that Daddy had-- family was so important to him and everyone of us KNEW that he loved us very much and was proud of each of us.
Dad always had many friends and as Mickey and Mike grew older their friends accepted Daddy as their friend as well. One of these friends began to call Daddy "Coon" and it stuck!! That is about the only name many of the friends would call him.
If ever a cowboy was born to this earth --he was the one. I am so thankful that he fathered two sons that followed in his footsteps with their love and skills in riding--Dad enjoyed watching them and sharing in the fun of rodeos.
I was so touched by the many friends that came to see Dad while he was in the hospital just shortly before his death--a lot of them were his longtime friends and many were the younger friends of his sons. They all had one thing in common -- they loved the man that they were visiting.
I think that Dads funeral service spoke volumes about the kind of man and friend that he was ---the church was so full that people were standing and many had to stand outside. Yep, I am a little prejudice but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that when it came to Dads--we had the BEST!!

No comments:

Post a Comment