Friday, May 7, 2010

Proper Raising

I guess that all of this talking about spring cleaning and Mom sewing new clothes for us--{funny that I just don't recall her sewing a lot for herself--I'm sure she did but seems she was always sewing for some of her children}ANYWAY I got to thinking about the way the ladies dressed--man oh man did we forever dress. Seems it took longer to put on all of the "underlings" than our dress etc. I don't know that they even make girdles anymore--I know they must but I haven't seen one since I burned mine!! No self respecting lady would leave the house without her girdle on ---or so our Mothers told us. Makes me think of a quote from one of my favorite movies (Steel Magnolias}
Dolly Parton and another lady were watching a woman dance and remarked that it appeared that she had 2 puppies underneath the back of her dress,to which Dolly replied that her thighs had not been without Lycra since she was a teenager. The other lady tells her " Honey' your momma raised you right."
It just tickles me pink to inform everyone that we were darn sure raised right, regardless of how uncomfortable we were--Oh, and the wonderful nylon hose with the seam in the back, that you HAD to have on straight with your seams perfect! Makes you wonder who on earth thought up this stuff to torture poor ladies and their teen daughters. Mom and my sisters didn't have the trouble getting straight seams--me, well that's another story--best I can think of is that the back of my hose resembled the snake river!!

No comments:

Post a Comment