Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Peanut Butter Cookies

Thinking about school, teachers, shopping for school etc.etc. reminded me of what I have not reflected back on--the lunchroom. I suppose in the cities they were probably referred to as the school cafeteria, but our country school had a lunchroom!
There was no pre-mixes or instant food prepared there, only fresh and home baked goodies. I remember the hot rolls were delicious, running a close second was the fried chicken--remember that I'm the gal not fond of chicken but it was great!
As the students went through the serving line the little ladies serving would ask if we wanted this or that, you didn't have to have everything put on your plate--you could request 2 rolls etc.in other words you got to eat exactly what you wanted. All of the students loved Fridays because they normally served Peanut Butter Cookies for dessert, they were soooooo good! The lady that was in charge of the lunchroom shared the recipe with Mom many years ago, I hope that you will enjoy them as we have through the years. I have baked them many,many times for my hubby,they are his favorite cookie.
Peanut Butter Cookies
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/4 white sugar
1/2 baking soda
1 1/4 cup of peanut butter
5/8 cup margarine
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine ingredients together and mix completely. Take a heaping tablespoon of dough and roll into ball's. Place on lightly greased cookie sheet. With the tines of a fork flatten the cookie slightly--dip the fork tines into some white sugar each time you flatten. I criss-cross my cookies with the fork. Bake at 375 degrees for 7--8 minutes or until set and turning light brown.
Every time I smell these baking it reminds me once again of the small things in everyday life that makes a lasting impression upon us. These little lunchroom ladies have been gone for many years now but I still remember their smiles and the pretty aprons they always wore and of course their delicious food.

No comments:

Post a Comment